How do we define Equity and Inclusion?
According to Merriam-Webster’s Dictionary:
- Justice according to natural law or right. Specifically, freedom from bias or favoritism.
How WVSD defines equity:
- School staff is to provide students and staff with equitable environments that respect them as individuals, respect their families and respect their cultural heritage.
According to Merriam-Webster’s Dictionary:
The act of including, the state of being included
The act or practice of including students with disabilities with the general student population.
Inclusion refers to a variety of integration approaches, but the goal is to blend special education students into the traditional classroom.
The act or practice of including and accommodating people who have historically been excluded (as because of their race, gender, sexuality, or ability.
How WVSD defines Inclusion:
- Inclusion is to provide an education to the maximum extent appropriate in the general education environment and special classes or other removal of students eligible for services from the general education environment occurs only if the the nature and severity of the students needed accommodations and modifications in such that education in general education classes with the use of supplementary aids and services cannot be achieved satisfactorily.
Equity and Inclusion Goals
Build resilience among students, families and communities
Build leadership skills for parents as the first and most important advocates and teachers for their child.
Support our school staff to lead family-friendly schools and culturally-responsive classrooms.
To increase the number of students who are meaningfully in the General Education classroom for at least 80% of the school day.
To see an increase in overall SBAC scores in the district while simultaneously decreasing the gaps between subgroups.
To see an increase in graduation rates while simultaneously decreasing the gap between subgroups.
To increase the engagement rate of our student with IEPs after they have left WVHS.
Increase the capacity of our staff to provide inclusive opportunities through Universal Designed for Learning (UDL), Co-Teaching, and Co-Planning. UDL is providing multiple means of engagement, representation, and action & expression.
- Afterschool Activities
- Least Restrictive Environment (LRE)
- School Board Study Session Data Summit (WaKids, iReady, SBAC, LRE, Leavers, Graduation Rates, Post High School, Attendance, Discipline, Perceptual Data)
Summary of Data
Smarter Balanced scores: Sub-groups of students are experiencing different levels of achievement in West Valley schools.
After School Activities: Research shows participation in after school activities leads to greater academic achievement. Sub-groups of students are experiencing different levels of participation at West Valley High School.
Least Restrictive Environment: Students who have access to core curriculum have greater achievement. In West Valley, elementary students have greater access than secondary students to the core curriculum.
WaKIDS: Students who enter school “Kindergarten Ready” achieve at a higher level. In West Valley, sub-groups of students are entering school at different levels of readiness.
Qualitative data: Many families report that they feel welcomed in West Valley schools but there are families in sub-groups who do not feel welcomed yet.
HS Graduation & Post-Secondary Data: While graduation rates have increased recently, there are still differences among sub-groups of students.
Attendance/Discipline: While suspension rates have decreased across the school district, there are differences in suspension rates for students with IEPs and by gender.
Hanover survey on perceptual data: There are differences in perspective of the student experience among staff and sub-groups of students at West Valley High School.
Future Equity and Inclusion Workgroup Meetings
- Tuesday, February 1, 2022. Purpose: The Equity and Inclusion Workgroup will complete a SWOB Analysis; Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunity, and Barriers in relation to WVSD's equity and inclusion practices.
- All meetings are at West Valley High School Library from 7:00 PM to 9:00 PM unless otherwise noted.
- Zoom Link: https://wvsd208.zoom.us/s/83389688306